Sermon done by Pastor Otniel Jooste, guest speaker at Grace Chapel Christian Church on 18 July 2017
– Notes taken by Meagan
Script reading came from 1 Kings 19 vs 1-10
Ways intimidation happens
- The enemy creates the fear to intimidate you; intimidation creates fear in your life.
- Intimidation happens through words of others and their reputation
- Intimidation comes through how you view yourself
scripture examples: words spoken to instill fear
“he is LIKE a roaring lion”1 Peter 5 vs 8
“walk through the valley of the SHADOW of death” Psalm 23 vs 4 – not actual death but a shadow of it.
- Defy the odds.
- Prove you can do things others said you couldn’t.
- Silence the voice of reason
- Don’t opposite with reason, operate with faith
- Take hold of the promise and purpose of god
Numbers 13 – When Moses sent Caleb to explore the land of Canaan. Vs 18 “See what the land is like and whether the people who live there are strong or weak, few or many. 19 What kind of land do they live in? Is it good or bad? What kind of towns do they live in? Are they unwalled or fortified? 20 How is the soil? Is it fertile or poor? Are there trees in it or not? Do your best to bring back some of the fruit of the land.”
On their return after 40 days, Caleb reported to Moses and said “We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it.”
However everyone else that was with Caleb vs 31 “We can’t attack those people; they are stronger than we are.” 32 And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, “The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size.
– this is how the men instilled intimidation in the Israelite community at Kadesh.
Effects of intimidation
- it can paralyze the call you have for your life, it cripples you, it discourages you
- It creates doubt
- It will keep you in a place where you have no authority -but Gods says rise!
How to put intimidation in its place
- Fill yourself with the word of God
- When you want to know who you are- go to the word of God
- God will raise you up, unwavering.
- Read his word, until the despondency fades
- Do not take counsel from the world
The enemy cannot take the vision that God has in store for your life
When you kneel before God you can stand before any man.
He will bring you before Kings and you won’t feel intimidated
In the story of David and Goliath, David refused the armor because it did not fit him. He did not listen to the other people who attempted to fight the giant and failed. He knew if he would wear the armor and stand before the giant he would fail too.
We are not born with fear, we install fear in people and ourselves
As parents when tell little children to not go into a place where they are not allowed and then say “the boogie man is going to get you” this instills fear into the child. Before you said that little child was brave enough to go into that place, but now the fear has been put in them to not do or go there again. Speak life and not fear into children.